Capital Campaign: Emergency Room Expansion
It is time to grow the Emergency Department at
Santiam Hospital & Clinics.
Santiam Hospital’s Emergency Department is a Trauma Level IV facility, equipped to diagnose and treat a wide range of major and minor injuries and illnesses. The Emergency Room is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
The last significant expansion of the hospital’s Emergency Department was nearly three decades ago. Today Santiam’s ER sees 13,000 – 15,000 patient visits annually; a growing local population and the arrival of Covid-19 have further increased the demand for ER services.
Regional providers such as Salem Health, Legacy Silverton Medical Center and Samaritan Lebanon Community Hospital have expanded their ER capacity in recent years and continue to grow. In order to remain competitive in the market, recruit the best medical talent, and better serve more patients, we must invest in our Emergency Department.
An expanded Emergency Department at Santiam Hospital & Clinics will provide much needed space to significantly improve the patient experience and enhance the working environment for our dedicated providers.
The impacts of our ER expansion at-a-glance:
- Increase beds in the Emergency Department. Since 1993, Santiam’s Emergency Department has grown from two beds in one room, to seven patient beds. With the expansion, we will add five more private rooms, bringing the total to 12 beds in the Emergency Department.
- Shorten wait times. We are proud that ER patients can expect an average wait time of less than 15 minutes for triage and to see a physician within 30 minutes of arrival. With the addition of five rooms, ER patient wait times will be further reduced.
- Improve patient satisfaction. An increase in private examination spaces, equipped with modern amenities will improve the overall patient experience at Santiam Hospital’s Emergency Department.
- Modernize support areas. A re-designed ER will improve work flows and increase the utility of existing spaces. Support areas will include clean and dirty utility rooms, a new nurses station, a redesigned waiting area and administrative station. These design improvements will emphasize efficiency and equity for high-quality service delivery.
- Improve staff work environment. There is currently no “offstage” area for our staff to recharge between patients or to meet with colleagues. These private areas are vital to morale and staff wellbeing. The expansion will include a modern, multi-department break room where staff can enjoy meals together and build a sense of camaraderie that is essential to a well-functioning team.
- Addition of a medical staff office. Our 18 ER physicians currently share one office space. The expansion will include a dedicated office area for medical staff who do not maintain traditional offices.
- Addition of a Conference Room and Reflection Room. These spaces will benefit both staff and the public. The ER can be a high-stress environment for families of patients as well as our providers. A quiet reflection room will provide a peaceful space to find solace.
- Improve safety and security. The improved layout and work flows will emphasize safety and security, keeping our staff and patients’ wellbeing a top priority.
Please consider a donation to our Emergency Room Expansion Campaign today! Your donation will have a life-changing impact on friends, family and neighbors who turn to Santiam Hospital Emergency Room for their emergency healthcare needs.
All donations to the Santiam Hospital & Clinics Foundation are fully tax-deductible.
“Making the decision to drive further from Salem to Santiam Hospital is a no-brainer. Is there one Emergency Department anywhere else that would expend extra effort for their patient? …Not likely from my experience. Your entire team shows more than just an expected professionalism. They show compassion and concern with an attitude of humanitarianism that goes beyond bounds.”
— Jim Nixon, Salem
Santiam ER patient